Skip to main content

Week Fourteen Story: Furies and Heretics

Dante's Divine Comedy translated by Tony Kline

We had entered Cante 9. I heard my master saying something from behind me but I could not place it. I was distracted by a tall tower that reached far above me. I squinted trying to see better. Then, three furies flew down. They were stained with blood and holding a woman. But, she was not normal. She had green snakes coming from her scalp. They were tearing at her breast. She screamed mercilessly and attempted to swat them away. Suddenly their attention shifted towards me. They attempted to use Medusa in their attack towards me. My master told me to hide my eyes and turn my back. No matter what persuaded me otherwise. As she came towards us, there was a loud crash that shook both the banks. My master told me to focus on the mist. Only the mist. More than a thousand spirits scattered from the water. Amongst them was a Stygain ferry with dry feet. He waved the mist away with annoyance. I knew he was a messenger from Heaven. He walked towards the gate, so full of confidence, and opened it without force. He turned towards us and said:

"O, outcasts from Heaven, why does this insolence still live in you? Why are you recalcitrant to that will whose aims can never be frustrated and that has often increased your torment? What use is it to butt your heads against the Fates? If you remember, your Cerberus still shows a throat and chin scarred from doing so". 

With that, he returned to the pool and disappeared without another word. Using this as our distraction, we ran through the gate into the next city. The City of Dis.

This city was full of torment. The souls cried out into the world with no one to save them. I was concerned. "

Why were these people here? Who are they?" I said to my master.

"These are the arch-heretics, the religious leaders and their cult following. There are many more souls in each room than you think. They are left to sit in the flames forever. Each a different degree" my master responded with no sadness in his voice. With that, we went up the ramp to continue our journey. Never looking back to the eternal, burning souls.

This is a depiction of Medusa and Furies by Dave Lafferty

Author's Note: I did not change any part of the story. I kept it pretty much the same. I left out the names of the furies because they were more confusing than helpful to me, but they are "Megaera on the left; the one that weeps, on the right, is Alecto; Tisiphone is in the middle". 


Comments

  1. Hey Brynlee!

    I think your story has a lot of great aspects to it, particularly the descriptive words you incorporated—they really help the reader visualize the plot well. If I had one critique, it would be to double-check your punctuation. I use the tool Grammarly to check all of my stories, and I've found it super useful regarding punctuation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brynlee! I thought you did a great job on this story! I will say that it took me a few minutes to get oriented as I am unfamiliar with the original story of Medusa and the Fates, so I would suggest maybe adding a narrating character or some sort of background at the beginning for readers like me! Other than that and some minor grammatical errors, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Comment Wall for Real Goddesses of Ancient Greece Source:  Flickr  https://sites.google.com/view/rgoag/home

Introduction to Me

 Hi! I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma. I am studying psychology with a health and exercise science minor. I love psychology because I think people are very interesting. I do not think people realize how similar they are to other people. I think studying psychology has helped me immensely learn how to work with and adapt to those around me both in personal relationships and in work relationships. Over my two years, I have taken some really interesting courses. I think my favorite so far has been social psychology because I think that there is a lot to be learned about those around us. However, my most challenging class was anatomy. I learned so much about the human body and how phenomenal it is that all of these parts work together to create and function us as human beings. As interesting as it was, it was an extremely difficult course. I was pushed to the point of stress I didn't even know I had. I am a better student because of anatomy but in the moment I was overly str

Week 2 Story

There once was a village that lived right on the edge of the jungle. Because of their proximity, animals would wonder in and out of the village. However, the animals did not bring danger to the townspeople. They lived in harmony. One day, a lion, king of the jungle, was walking through the town. He was trying to decide what to get his sister for her birthday. She was always a big fan of the townspeople's jewelry. He was bouncing from stall to stall at the market. That is when he saw her. The most beautiful maiden he had ever seen. She was tall with light brown hair and hazel eyes that reflected the sun in the perfect way. He was completely awestruck. Across the market, they locked eyes. She had a gentle way about her that made him for once feel like he was not a beast or something to be feared. She held his gaze, until she was ripped away by her mother.      "Don't even think about it, he could tear you to bits in one second" said her mother.     "I don't thi