Skip to main content

Week Seven Story: A Heart of Stone

 Quest of the Jewel by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).

There once was a fish maiden. She spent all of her time by the river fantasizing about the royals life in the palace. They were all so beautiful and pristine. Their lives were planned out for them and they never had to wonder what would happen next. One day, on her daily delivery to the palace, she saw a handsome man fleeing. He was grumbling to himself and stomping away as if something terrible had happened to him. Out of curiosity and lust, she followed him. She knew if he was leaving the palace there was no one worthy for him except a princess but she wanted to know him. She had to know him. He continued his pity parade well into the forest. He finally stopped at her favorite part of the river, where is puddled enough to make a deep well. She would never dare go in it for it was ridden with monsters. He continued his grumbling until she stepped out from behind the tree. 

He yelled " I wanted to be alone , let me die alone and in peace. I will not ever return to good graces at the palace. There is no reason to live further".

"But, why? What could you have done that is so awful?" she asked.

"I have lost the princesses jewel. She wanted it and I failed to retrieve it. I searched all over the land and could not find it. I do not know where it went" he wailed.

As he continued his whining, there was a glimmer coming from the water. She thought to herself, "it is not possible that is his jewel. I must retrieve it for him. I am one with this river, I would be the safest" she thought as she moved towards the river. At this point, he noticed the glimmer too. There was a small flicker of hope that arose in his chest. He prepared himself to jump. He would not give up on the quest, regardless of who had given up on him. But, she grabbed his arm. 

"Allow me. It is the desire of your heart and you are the desire of mine. I shall grant you this peace" she said as she readied herself to dive.

As soon as she hit the water, his heart stopped and his breathing caught in his throat, because outlined below her was a serpent. His tail went on forever. He was terrified for the girl but even more about losing the one chance he had to restore himself in good graces. 

Tamatori and the Sea Dragon. Source: WikiPictures

Author's Note: The story goes on to end with her stabbing herself. The sea dragon does not like corpses, he only eats fresh meat. This eliminates the risk from him, but she ends up dying with the jewel in her chest cavity. The man grabs her and carries her back to the palace to restore the jewel to the princess and to honor her sacrifice.

Comments

  1. Hi Brynlee!
    You took an interesting take on the story by focusing on the story from the point of view of the fish maiden rather than focusing on the minister of the empress.
    Though I'm somewhat curious as to why you chose to stop the story where you did. Was there a particular reason that you chose to stop there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brynlee! When I started reading your story I figured it would be a typical 'happily ever after' ending. However, that was definitely not the case! I really wish the story continued and I knew what happened to the fish maiden. I saw in your author's note that you explain the ending, but I think incorporating it into your story would read better. You did a great job though, and I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

 Hi! I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma. I am studying psychology with a health and exercise science minor. I love psychology because I think people are very interesting. I do not think people realize how similar they are to other people. I think studying psychology has helped me immensely learn how to work with and adapt to those around me both in personal relationships and in work relationships. Over my two years, I have taken some really interesting courses. I think my favorite so far has been social psychology because I think that there is a lot to be learned about those around us. However, my most challenging class was anatomy. I learned so much about the human body and how phenomenal it is that all of these parts work together to create and function us as human beings. As interesting as it was, it was an extremely difficult course. I was pushed to the point of stress I didn't even know I had. I am a better student because of anatomy but in the moment I was overly str

Comment Wall

Comment Wall for Real Goddesses of Ancient Greece Source:  Flickr  https://sites.google.com/view/rgoag/home

Week 2 Story

There once was a village that lived right on the edge of the jungle. Because of their proximity, animals would wonder in and out of the village. However, the animals did not bring danger to the townspeople. They lived in harmony. One day, a lion, king of the jungle, was walking through the town. He was trying to decide what to get his sister for her birthday. She was always a big fan of the townspeople's jewelry. He was bouncing from stall to stall at the market. That is when he saw her. The most beautiful maiden he had ever seen. She was tall with light brown hair and hazel eyes that reflected the sun in the perfect way. He was completely awestruck. Across the market, they locked eyes. She had a gentle way about her that made him for once feel like he was not a beast or something to be feared. She held his gaze, until she was ripped away by her mother.      "Don't even think about it, he could tear you to bits in one second" said her mother.     "I don't thi