Skip to main content

Week Nine Story: Twin Brothers

 Twin Brothers by Richard Edward Dennett (1898).

This is the story of two paths interconnected. 

There once was a woman. She was pregnant. After an intensive labor, she gave birth to twins, full grown twins. They were ready to set off into the world. They had a special charm that followed them and got them out of trouble when necessary. 

At the same time, a very beautiful woman was ready for marriage. She was of legal age and prepared to marry. But, her father wanted to make sure that the suitors had her blessing before he would agree to the marriage, because she was the one who would have to put up with them forever. 

Upon her coming of age, many suitors arrived. A tiger approached her father and he sent him to her and she rejected him. A gazelle, same outcome. A pig, same outcome. She was distraught that all of these suitors are not what she wanted. Until one day, she was walking through town and she saw the most handsome man she had ever seen. She ran directly to her mom and told her all about him and demanded that he be her husband. Luckily for her, the man was in town for her hand in marriage. 

He was greeted with a feast and with a wife. By sundown they were married. They slept in a room full of mirrors. These mirrors were covered. 

"What is beyond the covering of these mirrors?" he inquired.

"I can show you" she responded as she lifted off the covers. Each mirror showed him a different version of himself. It began in his home village. He was familiar with all of these places, he had ridden through and spent time in all of these towns. But, the last mirror was still covered.

"Why may I not see that mirror?" he asked.

"Those who enter that town, never return" she said fearfully.

"Let me see" he demanded. After a few more arguments back and forth, she showed him. He had no recollection of this village. But, he must go. He was drawn into it. So by sun up, he was off. He traveled long distances to find this village. When he arrived, he was instructed to tie up his horse and follow this elderly woman. He did so with slight hesitation, which was well warranted because the woman turned on him.

At the same time, his twin brother was riding into the town of his sister in law. She saw him and rejoiced, for her husband had made it back. Even after constant pleading and explaining that he was not his brother, they threw him a feast. Upon sundown, he lay with his brother's wife but separated himself from her as to not make an enemy, then at sun up, he looked at the mirrors in the same manner as his brother. But, in the last one, he saw his brother. He knew he needed him. So, he fled. He rushed to the village. The old woman attempted to do the same to him. But, he slayed her. Then, he arranged his brother's bones in order and used his charms to bring him back to life. 



This is a picture of a human skeleton put back together as it is presented in the Human Body and Health Revised by Alvin Davison. Source: Flickr

Author's Note: I did not stray much from the original story. The plots are the same, if anything, I simplified the language.

Comments

  1. Hi Brynlee!
    I would say that read your story makes me feel interesting and happy. Your storybook is so fun to look at. The theme of it blends perfectly with your writing. Also, each character owns their unique personalities and characteristics in this rewriting story. In my understanding, this is an important factor in a success story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brynlee!
    I liked this a lot! I felt like I was reading the beginning of an actual fantasy-based novel! The only thing I found myself craving answers on was the old lady! I wanted to know who or what the heck she was! A monster? A demon? I definitely pictured the fake old lady and kitty that turns into a huge fish creature from the Spongebob movie... LOL anyways, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brynlee, I liked your story. You did a good job simplifying the language for sure. I really wanted to know what the woman was. She was getting suitors from all these different animals, but was she a human? The old woman turning on him really wasn't expected! I wonder how she was able to convince her parents to let her marry someone so fast, she must be pretty convincing lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me

 Hi! I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma. I am studying psychology with a health and exercise science minor. I love psychology because I think people are very interesting. I do not think people realize how similar they are to other people. I think studying psychology has helped me immensely learn how to work with and adapt to those around me both in personal relationships and in work relationships. Over my two years, I have taken some really interesting courses. I think my favorite so far has been social psychology because I think that there is a lot to be learned about those around us. However, my most challenging class was anatomy. I learned so much about the human body and how phenomenal it is that all of these parts work together to create and function us as human beings. As interesting as it was, it was an extremely difficult course. I was pushed to the point of stress I didn't even know I had. I am a better student because of anatomy but in the moment I was overly str

Comment Wall

Comment Wall for Real Goddesses of Ancient Greece Source:  Flickr  https://sites.google.com/view/rgoag/home

Week 2 Story

There once was a village that lived right on the edge of the jungle. Because of their proximity, animals would wonder in and out of the village. However, the animals did not bring danger to the townspeople. They lived in harmony. One day, a lion, king of the jungle, was walking through the town. He was trying to decide what to get his sister for her birthday. She was always a big fan of the townspeople's jewelry. He was bouncing from stall to stall at the market. That is when he saw her. The most beautiful maiden he had ever seen. She was tall with light brown hair and hazel eyes that reflected the sun in the perfect way. He was completely awestruck. Across the market, they locked eyes. She had a gentle way about her that made him for once feel like he was not a beast or something to be feared. She held his gaze, until she was ripped away by her mother.      "Don't even think about it, he could tear you to bits in one second" said her mother.     "I don't thi