Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies

 My thoughts on praise are very in the middle. I think that if we have the opportunity to raise someone's spirits or to acknowledge that we see the hard work that they are doing, we should do it. However, I think there is a harm in too much praise. Individuals start to feel empty or like they didn't do enough if no one tells them the opposite.

My first article was "Five Reasons to Stop Saying Good Job!" by Alfie Kohn. This article deepened my thoughts about how constant praise can negatively effect children. These kids are just starting to develop their own sense of self. If we constantly tell them good job, as the article states, we are telling them how they should feel about a project or job they finished and we are setting them up for that constant need for validation. Without it, children would be able to create their own feelings and learn to work through the negative feelings that they have.

My second article was "Why Do So Many Managers Avoid Giving Praise" by  Jack Zenger and Joseph Folkman. This article brought an interesting point up. I think that many people believe that positive feedback is implied. It is not necessary to verbalize because they should already know they are doing a good job. But, negative or constructive feedback is necessary because it is something that the manager has noticed and needs to be said. I think that shows a very important aspect in our culture and in our individual lives. I personally disagree, I find it much easier to tell people what they are doing correctly opposed to the opposite.

I chose this picture to represent how as kids we don't need validation but as an adult, a little goes a long way. Source: Flickr, taken by Steven Depolo




  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Introduction to Me

     Hi! I am a junior at the University of Oklahoma. I am studying psychology with a health and exercise science minor. I love psychology because I think people are very interesting. I do not think people realize how similar they are to other people. I think studying psychology has helped me immensely learn how to work with and adapt to those around me both in personal relationships and in work relationships. Over my two years, I have taken some really interesting courses. I think my favorite so far has been social psychology because I think that there is a lot to be learned about those around us. However, my most challenging class was anatomy. I learned so much about the human body and how phenomenal it is that all of these parts work together to create and function us as human beings. As interesting as it was, it was an extremely difficult course. I was pushed to the point of stress I didn't even know I had. I am a better student because of anatomy but in the moment I was overly str

    Comment Wall

    Comment Wall for Real Goddesses of Ancient Greece Source:  Flickr  https://sites.google.com/view/rgoag/home

    Week 2 Story

    There once was a village that lived right on the edge of the jungle. Because of their proximity, animals would wonder in and out of the village. However, the animals did not bring danger to the townspeople. They lived in harmony. One day, a lion, king of the jungle, was walking through the town. He was trying to decide what to get his sister for her birthday. She was always a big fan of the townspeople's jewelry. He was bouncing from stall to stall at the market. That is when he saw her. The most beautiful maiden he had ever seen. She was tall with light brown hair and hazel eyes that reflected the sun in the perfect way. He was completely awestruck. Across the market, they locked eyes. She had a gentle way about her that made him for once feel like he was not a beast or something to be feared. She held his gaze, until she was ripped away by her mother.      "Don't even think about it, he could tear you to bits in one second" said her mother.     "I don't thi